Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Velocity increases with density

Only a matter of time I guess, till the poems that inspire the images make it to this blog. I revisited this one this morning - the title itself is just stunning and the movement in it is undeniable. It's by an American poet called Cole Swensen.

Velocity Increases With Density

A single impression
like you rounding a corner.
Even if I hadn’t been there
the image would have kept on
moving in my mind.
Now, you, in this case,
are an old friend. Built of lines and planes
like anyone, a chest, a false ceiling
of the sky. I write letters to others
in which every word is ride.
Hear the world open its coat
like a man running for a bus.
Someday all windows, by definition,
will be spherical. So as I said,
it was an unnerving moment.
I read in the paper the other day
of a woman who spontaneously combusted.
The world will never end.
This is what I fear
when I stop suddenly, almost reaching you.
You, in this case,
are not answering the phone.
It’s a long white line,
a single dimension of incredible speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.