Saturday, March 25, 2006

Pleat Street



I came in to work on Monday and looked at this painting a long time. I decided to paint over the faces and accept the loss of the canvas colour through adding paint. It was a happy accident and I like the pentimento effect ! So this week I've been letting it grow on me before I decide what to do next. Sometimes I think I rush into making changes and expect to know what needs to happen to a piece immediately - and then I wreck it. I'm glad to have reclaimed the sense of depth.
A three dimensional canvas is interesting to develop, and it's very different working at this smaller scale.



Ah me !
Here's a pic of the image before I added one last colour... and wished I hadn't. I diffused some of the figures, which is all good but I lost the nice contrasty thing that was happening because the face of the pleats were treated in a more linear style and the recesses in a defined colour range. Now it's just a whole lot busier and less spacious ( and I'm not putting the image up ).
Still, I'm really liking the idea - it has heaps of potential. Why is this the overriding self assessment these days ? - I think I need to put more time into resolving my ideas more thoroughly. ( Bruce Mau say's '...if process drives outcome we may not know where we're going, but we'll know we want to be there' - damn it, getting there is a slow journey sometimes - but it's a lot of fun! )

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:02 pm

    Te hee, I love this idea (and I can hear you beating yourself at your frustration with the learning process).

    You've got an exploring mind and no matter how accomplished you get with your painting, you'll still keep exploring (and keep getting frustrated).

    Life's a whole long journey (as they say), and it's great to be stimulated and exploring the whole way.

    ho ho - have fun

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.