Friday, March 24, 2006

Pleated space



Following on with the theme of compressed space and the way that people meet and share, I've spent today preparing a couple of canvases. They're pleated italian canvas, sized and unstretched. I love the way the light falls on the folds. and I'm using the raw canvas colour to paint on rather than the gessoed front surface.

This sketch is pretty busy still, and I'll probably moderate this when I paint it, but the images play across the planes and folds. For the first canvas, I want the figures to sit on the raised planes and the space to be described in the folds. On the second canvas I'll see what the scene looks like run across both the folds and planes. Should be fun. I'm thinking this idea will relate more to both the yellow and the red pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.