Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Mp3'd space


OK. So today I painted the compressed space idea. There's a lot to like, (colour, glimpses of more representational figures...) and much I could expand on with this idea. I want to progress it by exploring painting on unstretched (linen) canvas. Wonder if I used PVA to stiffen it and maybe some linen thread to sew the pleats in place, whether I could get the effect I see in my minds eye - or whether it'll look like so much curtain fabric...? Only one way to find out. Mmmm painting on the face of the pleats - solid colour into the folds or whole figures extended and then disappearing into the pleats ?
For now I'm going to stay with the bredth of my ideas, because there's one in the back of my head thats yet to work it's way out. I can't seem to grasp the swift movement I'm after.
I'm going to leave this exploration for another time and render the ripples idea as well. One week of this phase of exploration left.


This is a sketch I want to work on next. It's about accidental collisions. We all have our own space - when we bump into somone in the street say, that space is compressed and convoluted - as if it were mp'3 d. I want to play with pleated and painted paper so that light cast is utilised in interesting ways. Make sense??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.