Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Persistence of presence perhaps?



Here's the painting of the interior space rendered on the last piece of my prepared pleated canvas.
It's not quiet, (nice aim, but a while off yet - or maybe a whole separate project!) but it IS evocative of the persistence of presence.
This is an idea I've been trying to nail for a while now and is about the intangibles we leave behind us as we pass through a space, whether that's an essence of ourselves, a change in the electron charge within the room, or a memory of our presence held by those who remain.
I've worked back into the piece with oil pastels and graphite pencil ...I wanted to rough it up a bit and the italian canvas was somehow a little too polite (but smoooth as!).
I've attached a thin piece of balsa to the back top edge to constrain the folds. Logistically, it all holds together a lot better now.
I'm going to continue to explore this idea a bit more as well as paint the sketch of this last piece as a 2D work - on paper, for the pleasure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.