Sunday, April 30, 2006

Breathing in and out

No images to post this weekend. I needed to take some time to just be with my thoughts about this project. I'm hoping writing this might help to clarify some of them.

The work I've done so far has been varied and broad. I've played with different applications and styles, and I chose to experiment with many of the concepts around this project. I think it's time to focus on just one aspect and look at it in more depth. I'm thinking I need to be disciplined and go deeper into an idea, to explore and work with it a while before committing it to canvas or paint. Nut out how best to express the ideas I have rather than settle on the first because I'm spontaneous. I find that quite hard because part of that exploration for me involves paint and immediate ideas.

I'm frustrated that the pleated work, although innovative, has lost a great deal of spontenaety in the application of the ideas... and though I love this three dimensional canvas thing, if I can't regain that gestural mark and lightness of touch, I'm going to be dissatisfied with the results. I also think some pieces don't necessarily scale up - and these ideas are more suited to a smaller scale. If I continue down that track I'm going to keep them small.

There are things I love about the angry painting I did last week, some parts I want to change that may (or not) improve it, and some things that disappoint me. Although it says what I was wanting to say, it feels heavy and solid in the expression - like a Nigel Brown work... and so I probably won't paint a second one in this style or chose to revisit it.
I don't think I want to be so descriptive about the figures in these pieces.

I'm drawn towards the idea of interstitial spaces - that's the spaces between spaces, the moments between moments. The breathing space. I'm not sure yet what this looks like or how to describe it, but I want to return to a feeling of light and lightness. This might be a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.