Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Wanganui Summer School



Now that my paintings are boxed and sent off with the courier, it's time to assess the fallout here in the studio.
Brushes are standing stiff and irretrievable in solidified varnish; the boxes left over from the Storylines Festival and the Spinning Gold conference are tripping me up daily, and piles of papers are dotted about, their contents a jumble and a mystery. Somewhere in there is my ACC invoice- but where?

In the mess I have found the brochure for the Wanganui Summer School. You can download it here if you don't have it.
Summer School is a week of stimulating classes and artists talks for professional and emerging artists, with whiskey tasting (if you're me) and sunshine in the company of like-minded artists. It's stimulating and exciting enough to keep you going as a practicing artist, if you're thorough with your post-summer explorations, for another 8 months at home. If you're lucky you'll bring home the bones of your next show too. It's not to be missed really and Rob McLeod is tutoring again too (though I hear his class is probably full already).

This year I'm not attending, and although that's a bit disappointing, the holiday I know I need from the crazy full year I've had to date, will be more replenishing in the long run.
There's a time to push the hell out of yourself (and I know when I need a good kick!) and a time to rest and breathe slower. This year I just long to be still a while and not have to be anywhere or meet my own tough expectations.

I'm looking forward to next week though - to being in Nelson and seeing my work hung outside of my studio, to having it received and to wearing my new Spanish shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.