Thursday, May 21, 2009

Loose and lush - permission to paint he said


V Bank (conversation) by Steven Hemmens

VIII Seven sisters (The Women of Jerusalem) by Steven Hemmens

These paintings are by Steven Hemmens from his show Some Stations on the Way to the Cross and they're at Bowen Galleries for a few more days. This morning my mate Paul insisted I went to see them with him. He took my hand - 'close your eyes' he said - 'now open ! ' Permission to paint he said. And they are... I feel very moved. When a good friend says you need to get out of your head and paint from somewhere else - it gives you a jolt. Enough said - except see them if you can before they return to the UK with the artist because they are lovely.

What is it with these two schools of thought about making art and how can I find a middle ground from which to express freely?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.