Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Flick of the Wrist

Back today from a whirlwind visit to Nelson yesterday - and straight into work this morning so I'm feeling a little skitzoid zoid zoid.

Last night was a bit of fun, I was glammed up and shining like a rhinestone from another place (always good for a girls confidence).

Seriously, the work looked great in the gallery... the environment suited it so well.

Framed up in cream deep concave frames, glassless and mountless; there was nothing between the painting and the viewer and people really responded positively to that.
As a body of work, it viewed as an integrated whole, (my fears that it wouldn't were just dumb) with the new works mixing in seamlessly and quieter work supporting the smokey more complex ones. I received copious amounts of feedback for the boldness of the colours, the textures and the bravery of the mark making.

I met some lovely people - and made some new friends (connections connections, life is rich and wonderful) and I forsee a few welcome studio visits from them in the near future.

And happily, I sold some. Well... 5!!

There weren't that many Nelsonians there - but one in 5 bought a painting, so those that were went home happy and enthusuiastic. The local Grenough Chardonnay was delicious... and I left this morning happy as a sand boy.

I'll process the feedback and think on where to next (if anywhere) for this work.

Meantime Peter McLeavey downstairs from me is previewing Bill Hammonds new works tonight - so I'm about to poke my nose in and soak him up - 4 metres of unstretched glorious canvas.

Wow ! I just had to edit this post - Bill Hammond has added caves ! Eagles in caves, flying with brains (or are they hearts?) in their beaks back to their eeyrie. The new images are a nice new turn. I like it. Such a privilege having him downstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.